Thursday, December 3, 2009

Work Shadowing Programme at World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte Ltd

Hi all, I'd like to blog about my personal work shadowing experience at World Scientific Publishing Company.
Day 1
We started our work shadowing programme with an orientation and a brief tour of the entire publishing company. It was a surprise to see how many departments and manpower are needed to run this company. I learned how the pre-press and accounting departments operate and the type of expertise needed. This allowed me to look forward to my attachment at the various departments the next day.
Day 2
There was more hands-on learning experience at the editorial and marketing departments. It was really novel to try being an editor or marketing personnel. Today's learning experience had allowed me to understand that no department is isolated from one another as everybody has to work together to ensure the smooth operation of a company. Applying this to real life, one must understand the essence of teamwork and that it is imperative for all to work together and stay together, even in times of difficulty.
Day 3
Today was our last day of attachment and it was probably the most enjoyable day.
One of my favourite attachments was at the Global Publishing department. Our task was to think of ways to promote and sell some Chinese books. A friendly mentor explained to us more about their department and shared some interesting facts. Also, she introduced some Chinese books we (youth) may like to read. I truly appreciate her sincerity and warmth.
Another memorable experience was at the WS Printers department. We interacted with very nice and friendly staff who were open during their sharing. Moreover, they were concerned about how we feel thus far and their genuine interest in interacting with us really struck a chord in my heart.
Conclusion
Although the programme eventually came to a closure and it was sad to bid farewell to everybody, I feel that I have acquired valuable knowledge and learned life skills which would allow me to hold them close to my heart and venture into the working world in future with my head held high.
The cross application of skills and knowledge across various disciplines is so important as it will allow one to be a better problem solver. In addition, no man is an island and all careers would require people to cooperate with each other.
That's all! : )
Maria Ng of 09S25 xxxxx

1 comment:

  1. Maria, thank u for taking time off to share your experience with us! I am very glad that we have chosen you to represent us at world scientific!:D keep up your learning spirit!!

    ReplyDelete